Steve Savitzky's writings on Linux
This directory contains articles about, and configuration files for,
Linux. It's my contention that Linux is a superb operating
system for families, for many reasons.
- How I Work
- I've been in the computer industry for a long time -- I was working
with Unix of various flavors long before Linux existed. As a result
I've developed my own ways of working in the Linux environment that are
probably rather different from what most other people do. Come look
over my shoulder.
(listed by date of last nontrivial revision, newest first)
- Keeping Backups
How I Work #5.
- How I make backups and keep them safe. (Plus a little bit of wishful
- The Daily Ping
How I Work #4.
- How I know whether all of my far-flung systems are up and running
happily. Peace of mind in two lines of code.
- Managing Websites
How I Work #3.
- How I keep websites, including this one, up to date.
- Documents are Directories
How I Work #2.
- Why this document is called
docs-are-directories/ instead of
- Playing with Multiple Distros
2003/6/9 (updated 2003/6/29).
How I Work #1.
- How to put several Linux distributions onto one disk drive without
going insane. The first of an ongoing series called How I Work.
man page Rant
- Why is Linux documentation so hard to find? What can we do about it?
- Does Linux Need a Business Model?
- No more than jazz does.
- Simple Gifts 2002/5/17
- The good old days of lean, mean software are only a keystroke away.
- Linux in the Palm of Your Hand
- If AOL Buys RedHat 2002/3/30
- Some speculations. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad...
- Reflections on a Fry's Ad
- Linux hits the consumer market
- Making Embedded Systems
- A cute little penguin on the case is only the start.
- The Thrill is Back 2001/2/18
- Comments on the Agenda VR3 Development Edition, a Linux-based PDA.
- Linux on Laptops 1999/07/10
- Linux on a Ricoh Magio laptop 1999/07/10
- Linux--the Family Operating System
- (OK, so it's in the directory above. There are probably people
referring to it, and I didn't want to break links.)
Stephen R. Savitzky
<steve @ savitzky.net>